Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Little Brothers


Jeremy and David,  1967


It is The Job of an Older Brother to teach a Little Brother The Ways of the World.  Virtually everything a Little Brother knows, he learned from his Big Brother.  It is the Way.  Furthermore, it is decreed that The Older Brother will play a Dual Role:  He is both Protector and Tormentor.  It is also The Way of the World.  I didn't create these rules, I simply abide by them.  I like the Protector Role, and I do a good job of it now.  I don't want to think about the Tormentor, but occasionally David reminds me that I was very good at it.  He says I kept a Rolodex of Tortures to use on him, once the parents left for work, and we were left alone.  He says I was especially fond of "Temple Torture," "The Typewriter," "Knuckles," "Monkey Bumps," and worse.  I have no idea what he's talking about.  I think he exaggerates.  He shows me the scars.

Anyway, the Protector:  Yesterday I spent most of the day creating new Sales and Marketing tools for him.  A leave-behind one-page brochure, new business cards, magnetic door signs, and yard signs for his painting business.  Here are what me and Vista Print came up with:








I won't post his one page brochure, but it makes him sound like a painting god.  Which he actually is.

Anyway, I got 250 biz cards, two magnetic door signs, and two double-sided lawn signs ordered for just over $100.00 bucks.  He thinks I am a whiz.  He could never do that.  But I could never scrape and paint a multi-story, multi-color house or building.  We both think the other one pulls off the impossible.  I think I have taught him well.



3 comments:

Michael said...

This is a heartwarming little vignette and I found myself smiling at the same paradox my Big Brotherness still hold we with. Thank you - the first picture is perfect.

Reading this Whole New Mind Book by Daniel Pink right now and he's taught me about mini-sagas. Maybe a good format when you don't feel like writing volumes.

http://www.danpink.com/archives/2009/03/are-you-ready-for-the-50-word-challenge

Jer's Musings said...

Thanks! Wiil borrow it from you!

a life deconstructed said...

made me smile in the most tenderly way shin point