Thursday, September 24, 2009

Words and Pictures


Facebook is nice, but it doesn't have the flexibility for posting an image and text together, at least like this blog format does. I have pictures and words to share, lots of them, so I'm thinking I will do that here.
This is my brother, David. He's holding his dog, Bonnie, or Bon Bon. She's a Manchester Terrier, one of those "Honey, I shrunk the Doberman pinscher dogs."
Bonnie used to have a brother, Clyde, a litter mate, but one night, the two of them threw a big ruckus in the kitchen and David let them out.They went out into the dark, barking wildly. A yelp, then silence, and a terrified and trembling Bon Bon came home, traumatized by whatever was out there in the dark. Clyde never came back, and for a while after, neighbors reported that their pets and livestock had been attacked by a cougar. Part of the peril of living in the woods.
Now Bonnie lives in town with our mother, and sleeps on a pillow under the covers with Mom, who strokes her ears every night as they drift off to sleep. If mom forgets, Bonnie will take mom's hand in her mouth and remind her. She still barks wildly at passersby, especially if they are walking a dog, but she does it from the comfort and safety of her rocking chair, behind a big double pane glass.
David has other dogs now, big dogs, like Britta, a German shepherd, and Mollie, a Rottweiler/Mastiff cross, I believe. The big cats avoid those dogs, preferring poodles and bunnies and lambs. Still, I love this picture of these two characters. David is one of my favorite subjects and I have a wide variety of shots of him going back many years. I will post more pictures of David, and stories of our life together. There was a time once, in our life, when I was so mad at David I could have killed him, and nearly did. But today he is my best friend, most ardent supporter, and I can't imagine life without him. He's not heavy, he's my brother.


2 comments:

Michael said...

Is your brother reading this?

Jer's Musings said...

Yes, and he even gave his blessing! Several people who are reading this blog tell me that they are geting into these stories about him...